Tuesday 27 May 2008

A Few Days In North Norfolk


Hilke MacIntyre ~ Linocut

The Dunes ~ Burnham Overy Staithe
A few days away in Norfolk to recharge our collective battery really seems to have done the trick, I found myself wide awake and in my studio at 6am today. While we were away we had a good look around plenty of galleries, this part of Norfolk seems to be stiff with 'em, some quite 'pricey' work too. So, as well as sampling lots of cafes, deli's, etc. we also returned with some inspiration for the spirit. A couple worthy of a mention, I think, are 'Bircham Gallery' in Holt where I was particularly taken with the current exhibition of work by Hilke MacIntyre (gorgeous and rather colourful ethnic influenced paintings, linocuts and ceramics), 'Big Blue Sky' in Wells-Next-The-Sea, where I was really surprised to find a large collection of old wooden letterpress headline type for sale. Maggie and I also got some exercise and some lungs full of fresh sea air at Burnham Overy Staithe where the seawall and footpath wind their way towards beautiful white sand dunes for miles and miles. This seems such a surprising landscape and for us so close to our home. Sometimes living on the Essex coast you can be forgiven for thinking the sky doesn't get any bigger but on the edge of North Norfolk it certainly does.



No comments: